For Kids Only


Yes, I admit, I’m still a kid. I’m already 25 years old, yet I still enjoy watching cartoons and if given the choice between a soap opera and a Disney movie, I will choose the latter without second thoughts.

To prove my point, I have a collection of all Disney cartoons soundtracks. And worst, I memorize them all - from Fairy Godmother’s "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo" ” to Rafiki’s "Eupendi" or Baloo in "Bare Necessities".

I can sing along Genie in "Prince Ali" or Sebastian in "Under the Sea" no matter how fast the beat is or that the words seem to come out like gibberish already.

I am also fascinated with Fantasy movies like "The Never Ending Story", "Willow""Pans Labyrinth" and of course, "Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter". Aside from that, movies like "The King and I", "My Fair Lady" and "Fiddler on the Roof", are my favorites as well.

Lately, I have been watching "Pippi Longstocking" on Youtube and it brought back a flood of memories. I can still remember my awe when I saw Pippi with her 2 friends cleaning the house wearing those big brushes which they use as skates. I tried it when I was a kid but was sadly disappointed and puzzled why I didn't move a single inch.


I was also star-struck when I saw the White Witch for the first time in "The Wizard of Oz". I so liked her dress and hair that I wanted to have one like that as well.

When I was in Grade III, I sang with "Mary Poppins" in "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and had a fun time trying to guess what the word really means.

I remember the song "The Age of Not Believing" from the old movie "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". (The main character by the way is the voice of Mrs. Potts in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"). In that film, she was a witch who taught 2 kids how to overcome their fears and continue to believe in their dreams. I love this song she sang to them:

When you rush around in hopeless circles
Searching everywhere for something true
You're at the age of not believing
When all the "make believe" is through

When you set aside your childhood heroes
And your dreams are lost up on a shelf
You're at the age of not believing
And worst of all you doubt yourself

You're a castaway where no one hears you
On a barren isle in a lonely sea
Where did all the happy endings go?
Where can all the good times be?

You must face the age of not believing
Doubting everything you ever knew
Until at last you start believing
There's something wonderful...
Truly wonderful in you

There is something wonderful in all of us. We need only to acknowledge them and believe. 

On my part, I am grateful to my parents, specially to my mother who exposed us early on to the wonderful world of books, movies and songs. It was because of them that my imagination and learning grew. And when I become a mom as well, I will read stories to my kids and teach them wisdom they cannot find elsewhere.  What's more is that there will be genuine bonding among us because I will also enjoy watching the movies they love. 

We must never lose our sense of wonder.

Come with me and you'll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you'll see
Into your imagination
We'll begin with a spin
Traveling in the world of my creation
What we'll see will defy explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it

There is no life I know
To compare with  pure imagination
Living there you'll be free
If you truly wish to be

("Pure Imagination" from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory")

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS